Half Spinal Twist Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
Another spinal twist, this has a balancing and calming effect, as well as detoxifying your body.
How to Perform
- Come to sitting on the floor with your legs in front of you and your spine straight (Dandasana). From here bend both knees, placing the soles of your feet on the floor. Take the left foot under the right leg placing it on the outside of the right buttock.
- Take the right leg up and over the left thigh so the foot comes near the left knee. Press both sitting bones down towards the floor. Draw the lower back slightly in and up, releasing the spine to the crown of the head. The right fingertips are positioned behind the spine pressing into the floor, inhale and stretch the left arm upwards, extending through the fingers and creating space in your body.
- Exhale and twist the abdomen and chest towards the right. Without losing length bring the left elbow to the outside of the right knee and if possible wrap the left arm through the gap in the right thigh, and bring the right hand to meet it round the back to take a bind. The gaze is over the right shoulder. Breathe here creating length on the inhalation and deepening the twist in the thoracic spine (mid-upper back) on the exhalation.
- Stay here for 5-10 breaths.
- Release on an inhalation, letting go of the hands and returning the chest to the centre. Gently twist to the opposite side to rebalance the body. Take the legs out straight then repeat on the opposite side.